BJP steps up fight for Uttar Pradesh cane growers
Lucknow: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh will on Tuesday visit the bereaved family of a sugarcane farmer in Lakhimpur Kheri area of Uttar Pradesh who committed suicide due to heavy debts.
Party spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said Rajnath Singh will go to the Bastauli-Guleriya village to meet the family of cane grower Satya Pal Singh, who had committed suicide Saturday.
Accusing the Akhilesh Yadav government in the state of "failing to meet the aspirations of farmers and mortgaging their interests to private sugar mill owners", Pathak said even after the farmer`s suicide, the state government did not spell out clearly how the pending payments and arrears of the cane farmers will be made.
The BJP also questioned the delay in announcing the state advisory price (SAP) for sugarcane, which hit the cane growers in a big way, and sought answers from the Samajwadi Party (SP) government on the fate of the Rs 2,318 crore in dues which the farmers are yet to get since last year.
The BJP leader also said Rs 20 per quintal has been staggered "endlessly" this season.
"This government, like its predecessor government, have turned a blind eye to the problems faced by the cane growers in the state, forcing some to take the extreme step of suicide," said Pathak.
The deceased farmer had a arrear worth Rs 50,000 on a local sugar mill from the last season and was neck deep in fresh debt for the new crop, he wrote in his suicide note.
With delay in announcing of the SAP, which farmers later slammed as inadequate and loss-making, the farmer committed suicide on Saturday.
The BJP also announced the `gherao` of the Cane Commissioner`s Office in the state capital on December 05 by the farmers` wing of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing