BJP trying to communalise atmosphere in UP: SP
Agra: SP on Wednesday accused the BJP of trying to adopt Narendra Modi`s `Gujarat Model` in Uttar Pradesh and "communalise" the atmosphere in the state which has witnessed communal clashes.
"BJP has nothing left in UP. Therefore, it is adopting Modi`s Gujarat model in the state and is communalising the atmosphere," senior SP leader and Maharashtra state unit chief Abu Asim Azmi said.
Azmi alleged that there was a conspiracy to weaken the Muslim vote bank of SP.
"But Muslims are aware and they are with the SP," he said.
Meanwhile, SP national general secretary Naresh Agarwal said there was "laxity" on the part of some officers in Muzaffarngar as they did not give information on the violence in time.
He said despite this, the Akhilesh Yadav government controlled the situation effectively within two days.
Asked whether the clashes would have any bearing on the Lok Sabha elections, he said, "A new issue comes up everyday...This incident will have no bearing on the polls."
He said that a judicial commission has been constituted which would probe the violence.
Violence in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining towns has claimed 40 lives so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data