BJP workers jubilant after Joshi named from Kanpur
Kanpur: Celebrations broke out among BJP workers here on Sunday after the party announced the candidature of Murli Manohar Joshi for the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Amid bursting of crackers and distribution of sweets, local party leaders exuded confidence that Joshi would win the election by a large margin.
BJP yesterday announced Joshi`s name from Kanpur Lok Sabha constituency, pitting him against three-time MP and Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal.
Surendra Mohan Agarwal of SP, Dr Mahmood Rehmani of AAP and Mohammed Saleem of BSP are the other major contenders in fray from the city. However, Saleem`s name is yet to be officially declared by BSP.
Joshi is expected visit Kanpur on March 21 and party workers are busy making arrangements to accord him a grand welcome, party leaders said.
Former BJP MP Shyam Bihari Misra said there was a Narendra Modi wave in the country and "there is nothing left for Congress in this election".
BJP MLA from Kanpur`s Aaryanagar constituency Salil Vishnoi said Joshi will infuse a sense of unity among party workers and ensure better coordination.
"We will make every effort to ensure that he (Joshi) wins by a large margin," he said.
BJP Kanpur president Surendra Maithani said Jaiswal will not stand a chance against Joshi.
"Kanpur will become developed and people will have no problems once Joshi is elected from here," he said, exuding confidence that the veteran leader would win by a margin of more than one lakh votes.
Maithani also said that Joshi`s campaign plan would be chalked out after Holi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Three arrested for forcing Kerala nursing student to drink toilet cleaner
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners
- World doping watchdog WADA shuts down Rio Olympic lab
- 'What is the EU?' searches spike on Google after shattering Brexit vote
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer