BKU continues siege of Dasna toll bridge
Ghaziabad: A day after allowing traffic to pass through free of cost, the Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) continued to lay siege to the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) Dasna toll bridge in Ghaziabad on Monday.
The BKU plans to make the toll road in Saharanpur and the DND (Delhi-Noida-Delhi) Flyway "toll-free" from Dec 4 and Dec 7, respectively, BKU Meerut division president Rajvir Singh said.
"Our next target will be to liberate commuters from paying toll at the DND Flyway in Noida," he said.
Rajvir Singh also threatened to make all the highways in Uttar Pradesh toll-free and termed the collection of toll on the national highways as an "extortion" from the commuters.
He said the collection of toll at the Dasna toll bridge was in violation of the norms laid down by the NHAI.
"According to the NHAI rules, a toll bridge cannot be established within a 10-km radius of any municipal body. The Dasna toll bridge is hardly two km from Ghaziabad municipal limits," he said.
Ghaziabad District Magistrate Aparna Upadhyay said: "The district administration would play a role of a facilitator. Only the union surface transport ministry can take a decision on the realisation of toll."
Upadhyay said the administration will "maintain the law and order at all cost" and would "remain neutral". He added that the district administration was trying to facilitate a meeting between NHAI officials and BKU leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP