Blackbuck deaths: Kanpur zoo guard booked
Kanpur: Five days after 31 blackbucks were killed by stray dogs in a zoological park here, a suspended guard along with some unidentified persons were booked under sections of Wildlife Protection Act, Animal Cruelty Protection Act and Indian Penal Code.
Meanwhile, Minister of State for Zoos has demanded a magisterial probe into the case.
The FIR was registered last night against guard Sher Singh, who was suspended after the January 20 incident, and some others by V K Mishra, forest ranger, Kanpur zoo under Section 9/51 of Wildlife Protection Act, 1972, Section 11 of Animal Cruelty Protection Act, 1960 and Section 429 of Indian Penal Code.
However, Singh was later released on bail.
Meanwhile, the Minister of State for Zoos, Shiv Pratap Yadav, who had come for an inspection of the zoo yesterday, demanded a magisterial inquiry into the incident.
V N Garg, UP Principal Secretary (Forest), who had visited the zoo on January 23 to inquire into the tragic death of blackbucks, has submitted a report to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
On January 20, thirty-one endangered blackbucks, were found killed by wild dogs in the city zoo. According to their post-mortem report, 18 of them had died due to shock, whereas 29 had teeth and claw marks on their bodies.
The following day, the state government suspended zoo Director K Thomas and six others.
Blackbucks fall under the "near-threatened" species of the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning