Blast at Agra hospital; UP on high alert
Agra: At least six people were injured when a low-intensity blast, in which a crude Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was used, ripped through a reception area of an Agra hospital in the city on Saturday evening.
Speaking to a news agency, an official confirmed that IED was used in the blast at the 70-bedded Jai Hospital here.
"It was a low-intensity explosion. It appears the explosive was kept under a seat at the hospital`s reception area," Special Director General of Police Brij Lal said.
"Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) and Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) have arrived at the site to gather more information about the nature of the explosion," he added.
The explosion took place at 5.45 pm at the reception of Jai Hospital, situated on a service lane of National Highway-2, barely 2.5 km away from Taj Mahal, a declared terror target and frequented by thousands of tourists, Indian and foreigners.
Security around the 17th century monument of love in this tourist town in Uttar Pradesh has been beefed up as it has been on the radar of terrorists for an attack. Entire state has also been put on high alert.
In New Delhi, Union Home Secretary RK Singh said reports indicated wires and battery parts were found at the blast spot.
He said a team of National Security Guard has been despatched to the spot, while the state police`s ATS was already probing the blast.
Inspector General of Police, Agra Zone, PK Tiwari said: "Of the injured, none is critical. They are being treated at the SN Medical College. The patients who were undergoing treatment at Jai Hospital are being shifted to other nursing homes."
He said the nature of the explosion suggests that it was a crude bomb of low density. A nine-volt battery was recovered from the spot, he added.
"We will be able to confirm about the nature of explosion on the basis of forensic reports," he said and refuted reports that the explosive was kept inside a tiffin recovered from the reception area.
"The tiffin we recovered was empty. We cannot link the explosion with the tiffin that probably belonged to the hospital staff or a patient`s attendant," he said.
At the time of the blast, the afternoon shift of the OPD was operational. The hospital owner, Dr Manvendra Singh was attending to patients and sustained pellet injuries in the blast. A receptionist and two patients/attendants were the other victims.
In the meantime, the UP government has sent a preliminary report on the blast to the Union Home Ministry, saying it was too early to conclude if the incident was a terror attack.
The report, sent by the UP Principal Secretary (Home) and the DGP, said the blast could also be the fallout of a rivalry between local nursing homes and the private hospital.
Meanwhile, reports have claimed that there was a specific intelligence alert with regard to Agra around 20 days back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared