Blood cancer patient appeals for euthanasia
Kanpur: Dejected after fighting poverty and
blood cancer for the last nine years, a 21-year-old girl has
appealed to a local court to either ask the government to bear
her medical expenses or allow euthanasia.
The court will hear the plea of Alka Tiwari, a slum
dweller from Parmat area here and suffering from aplastic
"A civil suit has been filed asking the government to
bear medical expenses for treatment keeping in view her poor
financial condition or allow euthanasia," Alka`s lawyer Anand
Shankar Jaiswal said.
Alka requires a bone-marrow transplant by next month and
her mother`s bone-marrow has matched which can be used to
save her. However, the surgery would cost approximately Rs
15-20 lakh which the family is unable to afford, he said.
Detected with blood cancer in 2002, she was referred to
Mumbai after treatment in Kanpur failed to yield any result.
With the death of Alka`s father in 1998, her 25-year-old
brother has been earning for the family and incurring her
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!