Blood cancer patient appeals for euthanasia
Kanpur: Dejected after fighting poverty and
blood cancer for the last nine years, a 21-year-old girl has
appealed to a local court to either ask the government to bear
her medical expenses or allow euthanasia.
The court will hear the plea of Alka Tiwari, a slum
dweller from Parmat area here and suffering from aplastic
"A civil suit has been filed asking the government to
bear medical expenses for treatment keeping in view her poor
financial condition or allow euthanasia," Alka`s lawyer Anand
Shankar Jaiswal said.
Alka requires a bone-marrow transplant by next month and
her mother`s bone-marrow has matched which can be used to
save her. However, the surgery would cost approximately Rs
15-20 lakh which the family is unable to afford, he said.
Detected with blood cancer in 2002, she was referred to
Mumbai after treatment in Kanpur failed to yield any result.
With the death of Alka`s father in 1998, her 25-year-old
brother has been earning for the family and incurring her
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi