Blood cancer patient appeals for euthanasia
Kanpur: Dejected after fighting poverty and
blood cancer for the last nine years, a 21-year-old girl has
appealed to a local court to either ask the government to bear
her medical expenses or allow euthanasia.
The court will hear the plea of Alka Tiwari, a slum
dweller from Parmat area here and suffering from aplastic
"A civil suit has been filed asking the government to
bear medical expenses for treatment keeping in view her poor
financial condition or allow euthanasia," Alka`s lawyer Anand
Shankar Jaiswal said.
Alka requires a bone-marrow transplant by next month and
her mother`s bone-marrow has matched which can be used to
save her. However, the surgery would cost approximately Rs
15-20 lakh which the family is unable to afford, he said.
Detected with blood cancer in 2002, she was referred to
Mumbai after treatment in Kanpur failed to yield any result.
With the death of Alka`s father in 1998, her 25-year-old
brother has been earning for the family and incurring her
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands