Blood cancer patient appeals for euthanasia
Kanpur: Dejected after fighting poverty and
blood cancer for the last nine years, a 21-year-old girl has
appealed to a local court to either ask the government to bear
her medical expenses or allow euthanasia.
The court will hear the plea of Alka Tiwari, a slum
dweller from Parmat area here and suffering from aplastic
"A civil suit has been filed asking the government to
bear medical expenses for treatment keeping in view her poor
financial condition or allow euthanasia," Alka`s lawyer Anand
Shankar Jaiswal said.
Alka requires a bone-marrow transplant by next month and
her mother`s bone-marrow has matched which can be used to
save her. However, the surgery would cost approximately Rs
15-20 lakh which the family is unable to afford, he said.
Detected with blood cancer in 2002, she was referred to
Mumbai after treatment in Kanpur failed to yield any result.
With the death of Alka`s father in 1998, her 25-year-old
brother has been earning for the family and incurring her
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred