Board exam candidate attacked by `cheating mafia`
Aligarh: A student appearing for his intermediate examination was attacked and seriously wounded after he reportedly failed to pay `protection money` to the members of a `cheating mafia`, police said on Thursday.
According to a complaint lodged with Atrauli police, Wajid Ali was yesterday returning from his examination centre in Nagaichpara when he was accosted by four persons who demanded that he pay a sum of Rs 6,000 in exchange for the `permission` to appear in the exams.
When he refused to concede their demand, they attacked him with sticks and wounded him. Later, he lodged a complaint over the attack.
Several complaints have been registered over the past few days regarding the activities of what is being described as a `cheating mafia` active in Atrauli, sources said.
Senior district officials have been investigating the matter, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family