Board exam candidate attacked by `cheating mafia`
Aligarh: A student appearing for his intermediate examination was attacked and seriously wounded after he reportedly failed to pay `protection money` to the members of a `cheating mafia`, police said on Thursday.
According to a complaint lodged with Atrauli police, Wajid Ali was yesterday returning from his examination centre in Nagaichpara when he was accosted by four persons who demanded that he pay a sum of Rs 6,000 in exchange for the `permission` to appear in the exams.
When he refused to concede their demand, they attacked him with sticks and wounded him. Later, he lodged a complaint over the attack.
Several complaints have been registered over the past few days regarding the activities of what is being described as a `cheating mafia` active in Atrauli, sources said.
Senior district officials have been investigating the matter, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice