Board exam candidate attacked by `cheating mafia`
Aligarh: A student appearing for his intermediate examination was attacked and seriously wounded after he reportedly failed to pay `protection money` to the members of a `cheating mafia`, police said on Thursday.
According to a complaint lodged with Atrauli police, Wajid Ali was yesterday returning from his examination centre in Nagaichpara when he was accosted by four persons who demanded that he pay a sum of Rs 6,000 in exchange for the `permission` to appear in the exams.
When he refused to concede their demand, they attacked him with sticks and wounded him. Later, he lodged a complaint over the attack.
Several complaints have been registered over the past few days regarding the activities of what is being described as a `cheating mafia` active in Atrauli, sources said.
Senior district officials have been investigating the matter, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley