BSP demands roll back of power tariff hike in UP
Lucknow: Opposition BSP on Sunday demanded that the Akhilesh Yadav government immediately roll back power tariff hike in Uttar Pradesh, failing which Samajwadi Party (SP) would pay the price in the next Lok Sabha elections.
Senior Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) leaders Swami Prasad Maurya and Naseemuddin Siddiqui told reporters that in its election manifesto for the state polls, SP had promised free electricity for farmers.
The SP government, however, had aslo hiked the power tariff for rural areas and tubewells, which would hit the farmers, they said.
The BSP leaders alleged that the government was "misleading" the people on the issue.
The state government has passed the responsibility on UP Electricity Regulatory Commission, whereas its consultant and that of the UP Power Corporation were same, Maurya alleged.
On Akhilesh Yadav`s claim that BSP government purchased power on a credit of Rs 25,000 crore, Maurya said the SP in a period of a year has brought power worth Rs 11,000 crore on credit.
Meanwhile, Siddiqui challenged the validity of the Lokayukta report against him.
Siddiqui said that bill regarding extending tenure of the Lokayukta was not passed by the UP Assembly and a petition was pending in the Supreme Court.
On May 20, Uttar Pradesh Lokayukta had said public money worth Rs 1,400 crore was siphoned off in construction of memorials during BSP regime and indicted 199 people including former minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray