BSP demands setting up of Allahabad HC bench in western UP
Lucknow: The BSP on Tuesday demanded an immediate decision on the Jaswant Singh Commission report which has recommended setting up a Allahabad High Court bench in western UP and enhancing the jurisdiction of the Lucknow bench.
In a statement issued by the BSP state office here, the party said the BSP chief and former UP chief minister Mayawati had made a similar demand in the past but the central government took no decision in this regard.
To safeguard the interest of the people of the western region who have to travel long distances in the quest of justice, the central government should immediately take a decision on the Jaswant Commission report which has recommended setting up of a bench as also increasing the jurisdiction of Lucknow bench, the statement said.
The report submitted about 32 years ago had recommended that areas near to Lucknow like Kanpur, Shahjahanpur among others which are presently attached to Allahabad Court should be brought under the Lucknow bench.
So far, the jurisdiction of Lucknow bench is limited to Lucknow, Faizabad and Devi patan division.
The statement said that UP is geographically a big state and poor people are forced to face immense hardships for seeking justice.
The demand for another bench in western region is an old one and many agitations have also been staged for it, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in