BSP leader shot dead in Moradabad
Moradabad: A leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead by unidentified assailants near his house here, police said Thursday.
Rajesh Saini, 45, a corporator and member of the BSP`s district committee, was shot several times and critically injured late Wednesday while he was returning to his home in Kathgar town.
"Saini succumbed to his injuries early Thursday while being taken to a hospital in Noida, where he was referred to by the doctors here," police Inspector V.P. Singh told reporters in Moradabad, some 250 km from Lucknow.
Police are yet to ascertain the identity of the assailants.
"Even as the exact cause of the murder is yet to be established, we believe the killing is a fallout of some political rivalry. As of now, I can only say that a man has been detained, and he could provide us vital clues," Singh added.
Meanwhile, a large number of BSP activists held demonstrations here to demand the arrest of the shooters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`