BSP leader shot dead in Moradabad
Moradabad: A leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead by unidentified assailants near his house here, police said Thursday.
Rajesh Saini, 45, a corporator and member of the BSP`s district committee, was shot several times and critically injured late Wednesday while he was returning to his home in Kathgar town.
"Saini succumbed to his injuries early Thursday while being taken to a hospital in Noida, where he was referred to by the doctors here," police Inspector V.P. Singh told reporters in Moradabad, some 250 km from Lucknow.
Police are yet to ascertain the identity of the assailants.
"Even as the exact cause of the murder is yet to be established, we believe the killing is a fallout of some political rivalry. As of now, I can only say that a man has been detained, and he could provide us vital clues," Singh added.
Meanwhile, a large number of BSP activists held demonstrations here to demand the arrest of the shooters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi