BSP leader shot dead in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: A local leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead on Friday by unidentified miscreants in Meerut city, triggering protests by party activists in various areas.
Sanjay Gurjar (45) was killed near his office in the Sadar Bazar area.
"According to eyewitnesses, three-four car born assailants opened fire at Sanjay. In a critical condition, he was rushed to a hospital where he succumbed to his injuries," Superintendent of Police (City) PP Singh told reporters in Meerut, some 450 km from Lucknow.
"We are yet to ascertain the motive behind the crime, which could be linked to political rivalry," he added.
According to police, Gurjar, a member of BSP`s district unit, was also a member of the Zila Panchayat.
Meanwhile, demanding arrest of those involved in the killing, BSP workers blockaded roads in different areas of Meerut.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown