BSP leader shot dead in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: A local leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead on Friday by unidentified miscreants in Meerut city, triggering protests by party activists in various areas.
Sanjay Gurjar (45) was killed near his office in the Sadar Bazar area.
"According to eyewitnesses, three-four car born assailants opened fire at Sanjay. In a critical condition, he was rushed to a hospital where he succumbed to his injuries," Superintendent of Police (City) PP Singh told reporters in Meerut, some 450 km from Lucknow.
"We are yet to ascertain the motive behind the crime, which could be linked to political rivalry," he added.
According to police, Gurjar, a member of BSP`s district unit, was also a member of the Zila Panchayat.
Meanwhile, demanding arrest of those involved in the killing, BSP workers blockaded roads in different areas of Meerut.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'