BSP leader shot dead, supporters protest
Auraiya: A local leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead here by unidentified assailants, triggering protests by partymen in various areas, police said Tuesday.
Virendra Singh was killed Monday near his house in Ayana locality by two-three motorcycle-borne assailants.
"We are yet to identify the miscreants. Political rivalry could be the reason behind the killing," police inspector Alma Ahirwar told reporters Tuesday in Auraiya, 200 km from Lucknow.
According to police, a member of BSP`s district unit, Singh was also an in-charge of the party`s local unit in Auraiya.
"We have today (Tuesday) detained a man for his alleged connection in the murder. Investigations are on," added Ahirwar, who refused to comment further on the matter.
Meanwhile, a large supporters of Singh Tuesday demonstrated against his killing, demanding arrest of the culprits at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan