BSP leader shot dead, supporters protest
Auraiya: A local leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead here by unidentified assailants, triggering protests by partymen in various areas, police said Tuesday.
Virendra Singh was killed Monday near his house in Ayana locality by two-three motorcycle-borne assailants.
"We are yet to identify the miscreants. Political rivalry could be the reason behind the killing," police inspector Alma Ahirwar told reporters Tuesday in Auraiya, 200 km from Lucknow.
According to police, a member of BSP`s district unit, Singh was also an in-charge of the party`s local unit in Auraiya.
"We have today (Tuesday) detained a man for his alleged connection in the murder. Investigations are on," added Ahirwar, who refused to comment further on the matter.
Meanwhile, a large supporters of Singh Tuesday demonstrated against his killing, demanding arrest of the culprits at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet