BSP leader shot dead, supporters protest
Auraiya: A local leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead here by unidentified assailants, triggering protests by partymen in various areas, police said Tuesday.
Virendra Singh was killed Monday near his house in Ayana locality by two-three motorcycle-borne assailants.
"We are yet to identify the miscreants. Political rivalry could be the reason behind the killing," police inspector Alma Ahirwar told reporters Tuesday in Auraiya, 200 km from Lucknow.
According to police, a member of BSP`s district unit, Singh was also an in-charge of the party`s local unit in Auraiya.
"We have today (Tuesday) detained a man for his alleged connection in the murder. Investigations are on," added Ahirwar, who refused to comment further on the matter.
Meanwhile, a large supporters of Singh Tuesday demonstrated against his killing, demanding arrest of the culprits at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’