BSP leader shot dead, two detained
Lucknow: A leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead by unidentified assailants while he was sleeping at his home in a village near Amroha, police said on Monday.
Munipal Singh Jatav, 35, was shot dead late Sunday while he was sleeping in his house in Gangacholi village.
"As of now, I can only disclose that preliminary investigation indicate the murder is fallout of political rivalry," police inspector MS Bharti told reporters on Monday in Amroha, about 250 km from here.
"We have today (Monday) detained two people in connection with the murder of the BSP leader. The two are being interrogated," added Bharti, declining to comment further.
According to police, Jatav was BSP secretary from the Hasanpur Vidhan Sabha constituency in Amroha.
"He (Jatav) was shot from point blank range. We have learnt that three assailants, who had their faces covered shot dead the leader while he was sleeping. Though the leader`s wife woke up after hearing the gunshots and tried to catch the assailants, they managed to escape, brandishing firearms in the air," said a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened