BSP leader shot dead, two detained
Lucknow: A leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead by unidentified assailants while he was sleeping at his home in a village near Amroha, police said on Monday.
Munipal Singh Jatav, 35, was shot dead late Sunday while he was sleeping in his house in Gangacholi village.
"As of now, I can only disclose that preliminary investigation indicate the murder is fallout of political rivalry," police inspector MS Bharti told reporters on Monday in Amroha, about 250 km from here.
"We have today (Monday) detained two people in connection with the murder of the BSP leader. The two are being interrogated," added Bharti, declining to comment further.
According to police, Jatav was BSP secretary from the Hasanpur Vidhan Sabha constituency in Amroha.
"He (Jatav) was shot from point blank range. We have learnt that three assailants, who had their faces covered shot dead the leader while he was sleeping. Though the leader`s wife woke up after hearing the gunshots and tried to catch the assailants, they managed to escape, brandishing firearms in the air," said a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Barack Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU
- Islamic State captures 900 Kurdish civilians in north Syria in 3 weeks
- 33 killed in renewed clashes across Yemen
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'
- Two killed, 100 homes destroyed by fast-moving California wildfire