BSP leader shot dead, two detained
Lucknow: A leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead by unidentified assailants while he was sleeping at his home in a village near Amroha, police said on Monday.
Munipal Singh Jatav, 35, was shot dead late Sunday while he was sleeping in his house in Gangacholi village.
"As of now, I can only disclose that preliminary investigation indicate the murder is fallout of political rivalry," police inspector MS Bharti told reporters on Monday in Amroha, about 250 km from here.
"We have today (Monday) detained two people in connection with the murder of the BSP leader. The two are being interrogated," added Bharti, declining to comment further.
According to police, Jatav was BSP secretary from the Hasanpur Vidhan Sabha constituency in Amroha.
"He (Jatav) was shot from point blank range. We have learnt that three assailants, who had their faces covered shot dead the leader while he was sleeping. Though the leader`s wife woke up after hearing the gunshots and tried to catch the assailants, they managed to escape, brandishing firearms in the air," said a police official.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Arvind Kejriwal lauds PM Narendra Modi's Cabinet Minister Suresh Prabhu – Know why
- OMG: Akshay Kumar's bodyguard punches a fan – Details inside
- SHOCKING! Pakistan umpire Aleem Dar's sons involved in major controversy in Scotland - Read full story
- Kerala Assembly Election 2016: Arun Jaitley to release NDA's vision document today
- US wants Pakistan to have dialogue with neighbours