BSP leader shot dead, two detained
Lucknow: A leader of Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was shot dead by unidentified assailants while he was sleeping at his home in a village near Amroha, police said on Monday.
Munipal Singh Jatav, 35, was shot dead late Sunday while he was sleeping in his house in Gangacholi village.
"As of now, I can only disclose that preliminary investigation indicate the murder is fallout of political rivalry," police inspector MS Bharti told reporters on Monday in Amroha, about 250 km from here.
"We have today (Monday) detained two people in connection with the murder of the BSP leader. The two are being interrogated," added Bharti, declining to comment further.
According to police, Jatav was BSP secretary from the Hasanpur Vidhan Sabha constituency in Amroha.
"He (Jatav) was shot from point blank range. We have learnt that three assailants, who had their faces covered shot dead the leader while he was sleeping. Though the leader`s wife woke up after hearing the gunshots and tried to catch the assailants, they managed to escape, brandishing firearms in the air," said a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video