BSP legislator disqualified from House
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Assembly Speaker on Friday disqualified BSP MLA Fareed Mahfooz Qidwai from the House under anti-defection law, a day after the Allahabad High Court dismissed his writ petition in this regard.
"After hearing the petition of BSP state president Swami Prasad Maurya for disqualification of Qidwai, he has been disqualified from the membership of the House from May 09," Speaker Sukhdeor Rajbhar told reporters here.
The BSP had filed disqualification petition against Qidwai, an MLA from Masauli seat of Barabanki, to the Speaker after he joined Samajwadi Party on May 09.
Qidwai had challenged his disqualification proceedings in the Uttar Pradesh High Court, which had dismissed his petition yesterday.
Rajbhar said he had reserved his decision on similar disqualification petition against BSP MLA Sher Bahadur Singh. Petitions against BSP MLAs Bhagwan Sharma alias Guddu Pandit and Satish Verma were also pending.
The petitions against these legislators, who have joined Samajwadi Party, has been moved by BSP`s state chief Swami Prasad Maurya under anti-defection law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling