BSP legislator disqualified from House
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Assembly Speaker on Friday disqualified BSP MLA Fareed Mahfooz Qidwai from the House under anti-defection law, a day after the Allahabad High Court dismissed his writ petition in this regard.
"After hearing the petition of BSP state president Swami Prasad Maurya for disqualification of Qidwai, he has been disqualified from the membership of the House from May 09," Speaker Sukhdeor Rajbhar told reporters here.
The BSP had filed disqualification petition against Qidwai, an MLA from Masauli seat of Barabanki, to the Speaker after he joined Samajwadi Party on May 09.
Qidwai had challenged his disqualification proceedings in the Uttar Pradesh High Court, which had dismissed his petition yesterday.
Rajbhar said he had reserved his decision on similar disqualification petition against BSP MLA Sher Bahadur Singh. Petitions against BSP MLAs Bhagwan Sharma alias Guddu Pandit and Satish Verma were also pending.
The petitions against these legislators, who have joined Samajwadi Party, has been moved by BSP`s state chief Swami Prasad Maurya under anti-defection law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad