BSP ruined sports culture in UP: Narad Rai
Ballia: Uttar Pradesh Sports Minister Narad Rai on Thursday charged the previous BSP regime with ruining the sporting culture in the State by setting up memorials and parks where stadiums earlier stood.
Rai said the present SP government was working to restore the facilities and promote sports at the rural level.
"Because of the wrong policies of BSP government, sports was in comatose. In Lucknow, a stadium was dismantled to set up a park, which damaged the image of Uttar Pradesh at the national and international level," Rai said on the occasion of inaugurating a state-level rural sports competition.
"At that time, the only cricket stadium in the state where international matches were staged, Green park in Kanpur, had turned into ruins... The situation was such that Australia had refused to play there in 2009," Rai claimed.
"The SP government, on the other hand, made the Green Park match-ready through hard work of three months and a one-day match was played there," he said.
The minister emphasised on his government`s commitment to promote sports at the rural level, and said progress cannot be made unless proper facilities are provided.
In this regard, Rai said that a government order has been issued for providing Gram Samaj land for sports ground in villages, where land consolidation is being undertaken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'