BSP seeks Guv intervention on renaming Dalit scheme
Lucknow: The BSP on Monday sought Uttar Pradesh Governor BL Joshi`s intervention to restore the original name of a welfare scheme named after Dalit icon BR Ambedkar, which was recently rechristened by the Samajwadi Party government.
The rural development scheme, Ambedkar Samagra Gram Vikas Yojna, was last week renamed after Socialist thinker Ram Manohar Lohia by the Uttar Pradesh government.
Led by BSP state unit president Swami Prasad Maurya, a party delegation called on the Governor and urged him to direct the government to review its decision and restore the earlier name of the scheme, BSP sources said.
The delegation also drew the Governor`s attention to the ruling party`s decision to scrap 26 schemes initiated by the previous Mayawati-led government, majority of which were named after Dalit icons.
Maurya had last week asked the government to review its decision and restore the name of Ambedkar Samagra Gram Vikas Yojna, stressing that it amounted to disrespecting the leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh