BSP, SP in war of words over charges against Raja Bhaiya
New Delhi: The BSP and SP on Monday sparred over the allegation against UP minister Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiya in the murder of a police officer with Mayawati demanding clamping of President`s Rule in the state.
DSP Zia-ul-Haq was killed by a mob in Pratapgarh on Saturday when he had rushed there after a village head was shot dead over a land dispute. The slain officer`s wife had accused Food and Civil Supplies Minister Bhaiya, who has since resigned from the State Cabinet, for the attack.
"There is jungleraj and `goondaraj` in UP. I had earlier also demanded President`s Rule in UP. When police officers are not safe, how will common people feel safe. Centre should take initiative to clamp President`s Rule," the BSP chief told reporters outside Parliament.
Reacting to the charges, SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav said, "Mayawati`s saying this is unnecessary. It is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black."
He also cited various criminal cases involving BSP MPs and MLAs during the BSP rule.
Commenting on Maywati`s demand for President`s Rule in the state, senior SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav said, "She is free to say whatever she likes. Everybody knows what happened duing her rule in Uttar Pradesh. I have never taken any allegation by Mayawati seriously and will not do so in future also."
"In her rule, one minister had killed an executive engineer for not giving money for Mayawati`s birthday and there are several such examples during here rule," he alleged.
Asked if the SP Government in UP had made a mistake by appointing a person like Raja Bhaiyya as minister, Ramgopal Yadav said, "No... The Chief Minister is clean and adamant to remove all the elements which come in the way of better governance."
On whether Raj Bhaiya would be arrested, he said, "The law will take its own course. If police thinks it is required, they will take proper action"
Haq, posted as Circle Officer at Kunda town, had rushed to Balipur village after getting information about the murder of the village head on Saturday.
Gram Pradhan Nanhe Yadav was shot dead by unidentified men last evening in the village, about 160 kms from here.
When the police officer reached the village on the outskirts of Kunda, he was attacked by some men, police said.
Haq and the village head`s brother Suresh received serious injuries in the attack and both died later, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur