BSP to demonstrate against petrol price hike today
Lucknow: Leaders and workers in Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) would hold day-long protests Tuesday against the petrol price hike announced earlier this month by the central government, a party leader said.
Party workers would stage sit-ins at all the 72 district headquarters, according to a plan announced by Chief Minister Mayawati.
Tuesday`s protests shall come at a time when the government, through its order issued last month, imposed curbs on demonstrations and made seeking permission for protests cumbersome.
Protests by opposition parties including the Congress, the Samajwadi Party and the Bharatiya Janata Party were dealt with an iron hand by the Mayawati administration after the order.
In the state capital here, yesterday, every inch of the roadside was virtually taken over by the ruling party`s banners announcing the purpose behind the protest.
According to the party leader, Mayawati has deputed her most trusted colleague Naseemuddin Siddiqui to lead the demonstration in the capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened