Bukhari snaps ties with Samajwadi Party in UP
Lucknow: Severing ties with ruling Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh, Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Maulana Syed Ahmed Bukhari has send resignations of his supporters, including his MLC son-in-law, from all positions in the state government.
"On my directive my son-in-law MLC Umar Ali Khan and chairman of Civil Defence Council Waseem Ahmad have resigned and I have sent their resignations to SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav," Bukhari told a news agency.
When asked about the sudden move, Bukhari alleged that in its one year in power in Uttar Pardesh, the SP government did nothing for Muslims.
"Before the Assembly elections, Mulayam had sought my support and at that time several demands, including 18 percent reservation for Muslims, were raised which he promised to fulfil. But the government failed to protect even the basic rights of Muslims," he said.
He alleged that in the one year of SP regime, 113 communal incidents took place in UP and curfew was clamped at 13 places.
"The loss was that of Muslims," he said, adding that Muslims were not given adequate participation in administrative posts.
"The government was yesterday celebrating its failure which is utterly shameful," he said.
On being asked about his future strategy, Bukhari said "wait and watch".
Bukhari said "SP should not dream about the Centre as until and unless it has support of Muslims from UP this dream would never realise."
Meanwhile, Chairman of Civil Defence Council Waseem said that he was appointed on the recommendation of the Shahi Imam and he resigned on his directives.
"I am a follower of Shahi Imam like thousands of other people," he said.
The Mulayam-Bukhari pact was sealed before the 2012 State Assembly polls, despite opposition from some senior Samajwadi Party leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened