CAG report on Maha Kumbh exposes SP govt`s claim: BJP
Lucknow: Attacking the Uttar Pradesh government over CAG report on Maha Kumbh Mela, BJP on Wednesday said the shortcomings pointed out by the auditor has "exposed" the dispensation which had "patted its back" for organising the religious event successfully.
"The CAG report tabled in the Vidhan Sabha (Assembly) yesterday has exposed the SP government which was patting its back for successfully organising the event," BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
He said right from financial management to construction works and crowd management, the CAG has pointed out "serious" shortcomings in organising one of the world`s biggest event.
Pathak alleged of the Rs 1,152.20 crore released for the event, Rs 1,017.37 crore was utilised, whereas more than Rs 130 crore remained unutilised.
He alleged that the state government did not release a special grant of Rs 800 crore received from the Centre for the Mela instead the amount was used to compensate the state share.
"As a result, while the Centre`s share was 99 per cent (Rs 1,141.63 crore), the amount of state share reduced to merely one per cent (Rs 10.17 crore)," he alleged.
The spokesman said some of the works which were carried out for the Mela were not related to the event.
He alleged that CAG detected shortcomings in crowd management, which included security, traffic rules, safety, health services and food security.
"There were serious lapses in the security of the pilgrims as CAG has pointed out towards shortage of necessary equipment," he said.
The BJP leader said those who were taking the credit of organising the Mela, must also own the responsibility after the CAG report.
"All shortcomings pointed out by the CAG expose tall claims being made by the SP government. Now it must tell what action it was contemplating to take on the CAG report and wether an inquiry would be conducted," he said.
In the report tabled, CAG has criticised the Uttar Pradesh government for financial mismanagement, absence of co-ordination between different departments and lack of planning in traffic management during last year`s Maha Kumbh Mela in Allahabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...