Campaign for first phase polls ends in UP
Lucknow: Campaigning for the first phase of
Uttar Pradesh polls, which saw stalwarts of major political
parties trading barbs in the key state, came to an end.
The high pitch electioneering saw Congress leader Rahul
Gandhi taking a lead and charging ruling BSP and its symbol
elephant "eating money" given by the Centre.
The BSP campaign was led by state Chief Minister Mayawati,
who accused the Centre of ignoring the state. While Akhilesh
Yadav, son of SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav, took the charge
of his party`s campaign.
"Campaigning for the first phase of elections, polling
for which would be be held on February 8, ended this evening,"
additional chief electoral officer Mrityunjay Narain told
He said that polling in 10 districts, including Sitapur,
Barabanki, Faizabad, Ambedkar Nagar, Bahraich, Shravasti,
Balrampur, Gonda, Siddharth Nagar and Basti would be held
amidst tight security arrangements.
In this phase more than 1.70 lakh electorates would seal
the fate of 862 candidates in the fray for 55 seats.
Narain said that in the first phase 6,855 polling stations
have identified as critical and to ensure free and fair
elections more than two lakh jawans, including of state
police and central forces, have been deployed.
He said that from today upto end of polling there was
would be ban on exit or opinion polls.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!