Campaigning ends for by-polls in UP
Lucknow: Campaigning for by-polls to one
Lok Sabha and 11 assembly seats in Uttar Pradesh ended today
on a hectic note with star campaigners of political parties
cris-crossing the state to muster support for their
"A total of 177 candidates are in the fray for the
November seven by-election to 12 constituencies, including the
Firozabad parliamentary seat," a state election department
A total of 5,616 polling stations have been set at
3,682 centres to facilitate the polling.
"Nearly 1900 polling stations have been identified as
critical where special security arrangements will be made
along with deployment of micro observers and video cameras,"
the official said.
He said 2,300 micro observers, 700 sector magistrates
and 90 zonal magistrates will be deployed on poll duty as the
Election Commission has also appointed 16 central observers.
In Firozabad, where Congress` politician-turned-actor
Raj Babbar is pitched against SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav`s
daughter-in-law Dimple Yadav, the EC has deployed five
observers. The constituency has 49 lakh electorate, including
22.36 lakh female voters.
"To maintain law and order, adequate central para
military force, armed forces of other states and PAC would be
deployed. All district electoral officers have been directed
to keep a vigil on possible attempts to influence voters
through distribution of money, liquor among others," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000