Can`t be charged for maid`s murder, says BSP MP`s wife
New Delhi: BSP MP Dhananjay Singh`s wife Jagriti Singh, who along with her husband was chargesheeted in the murder case of their maid on Saturday told a court here that she cannot be charged for the offence of murder due to lack of any such evidence to establish the motive.
During the arguments on framing of charges, the counsel appearing for Jagriti told Additional Sessions Judge Lokesh Kumar Sharma that there was no evidence on record to establish the intention or motive behind the injuries allegedly given by the accused to the victim.
Her counsel argued that Jagriti cannot be charged for the offence under section 302 (murder) of the IPC.
The court fixed May 6 for hearing further arguments on the point of framing of charges.
During the proceeding, the court granted exemption from personal appearance only for the day to Dhananjay, an MP from Jaunpur constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
He was recently granted one week temporary bail in the case by Supreme Court to file his nomination for the Lok Sabha election.
Jagriti, a dental surgeon at a government hospital here, is presently in jail under judicial custody.
Dhananjay was chargesheeted for various offenses under the IPC, including for alleged destruction of evidence and abatement of the offenses of murder and attempt to murder.
Jagriti was chargesheeted for offenses under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 344 (wrongfully confining for 10 or more days), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 201 (destruction of evidence) of the IPC.
The couple were arrested on November 5 last year in connection with the death of their 35-year-old maid Rakhi Bhadra, a resident of West Bengal.
The police, in its charge sheet, had alleged that Jagriti used to "mercilessly beat" her three domestic helps and had "compelled" them to work by holding them captive.
Rakhi`s body, with injury marks on her legs, chest and arms, was recovered from Dhananjay`s South Avenue residence in the evening of November 4, 2013.
Earlier, police had chargesheeted Dhananjay in a separate case for allegedly repeatedly raping a 42-year-old railway employee for nearly four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days