‘Can`t intervene in G Noida land acquisition’
New Delhi: The Government on Friday expressed
concern over investors losing their money due to a court order
that said land in Greater Noida should be returned to farmers
as they had not got due compensation but maintained it could
not intervene as land is a state subject.
"Land...is a state subject. We (Central government) have
no jurisdiction over it. There is obviously a problem...most
of the scams are centered around land," Union Minister Kapil
Sibal told reporters here.
He, however, said the Centre can deal with corruption
related to land and expressed hope that the proposed Lokpal
Bill would be effective in dealing with it.
"Corruption is a central subject, so even if we can`t
deal with redistribution of land, we can deal with corruption
over land. But here (in Greater Noida land case) it is for the
government of UP to devise a solution which is fair, just and
equitable," the Telecom Minister said.
Around 50,000 people who had invested in builder flats in
Noida Extension - a part of Greater Noida - have been affected
by a Allahabad High Court order which said land should be
returned to the farmers as the Uttar Pradesh government had
not paid them adequate compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter