CB-CID probe into dalit rape case an eye-wash: Opp
Lucknow: Opposition parties in Uttar Pradesh on Sunday termed the CB-CID probe into the rape of a dalit girl as an "eyewash", saying it is Chief Minister Mayawati`s attempt to protect the BSP MLA, allegedly involved in the crime.
"By ordering a CB-CID probe into Sheelu Nishad case, Chief Minister Mayawati has made an attempt to save her MLA Prusottam Naresh Dwiwedi," state SP chief Akhilesh Yadav alleged in a statement issued here.
Mayawati had yesterday ordered a CB-CID probe into the rape of the 17-year-old girl.
Yadav said when rape has been confirmed in the medical report, the accused MLA should have been arrested immediately.
He termed suspension of the accused MLA from BSP as a Mayawati`s "trick" but said "suspending the MLA will not work."
The son SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav`s alleged that Sheelu is not the first case and there had been a number of instances where allegations of sexual harassment and rape were leveled against BSP leaders.
"SP demands the Governor to seek an explanation from the Chief Minister on increasing atrocities against women, especially dalits, and terminate the government," he said.
Meanwhile, the state Congress president Rita Bahuguna Joshi termed CB-CID probe order by Mayawati as farce.
"Mayawati cannot escape from her responsibility and accountability only by suspending the MLA. This is an eyewash and mere suspension will not curtail the crime of the MLA," she alleged.
Joshi said the Congress has been demanding a judicial inquiry into the rape case, immediate arrest of the BSP MLA and transfer of the Superintendent of Police for trying to conceal the incident.
"Our agitation will continue and members of women wing will stage a demonstration on Banda tomorrow," she said.
Another opposition party in the state, BJP, alleged that suspension of the MLA was nothing more than an eyewash.
"Non registration of case despite prima facie evidence clearly indicate that an effort is being made to save the MLA," party spokesman Hriday Narain Dixit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan