`CB-CID to probe rape charges in Bhatta Parsaul`
New Delhi: The Uttar Pradesh government
today informed the National Human Rights Commission that it
has asked its CB-CID to further probe into the allegations of
rapes against policemen in Bhatta-Parsaul in May last year.
During a full Commission meeting here, senior UP
officials also informed the rights body that it has provided
compensation to victims of police atrocities in the twin
NHRC sources said the rights body had in July last year
sent its report on the incident to the state government asking
it to send its report on its findings. However, the state
government ignored the one-month deadline.
Sources said during today`s proceedings, the UP officials
presented their views on the issue.
They informed the Commission that the CB-CID has been
instructed to further probe the allegations of rape of women
during police action. On the issue of three missing persons
flagged by NHRC, the officials said the trio had returned
After a visit to the villages, Congress leader Rahul
Gandhi had alleged that women had been raped, people thrashed
and houses destroyed.
A "pained" NHRC has sent its investigative team to probe
allegations of violence over land acquisition and complaints
of police atrocities in Greater Noida. Four persons, including
two policemen, were killed in farmers-police clashes and
firing in Bhatta-Parsaul villages on May 7 last year.
The investigative team submitted its findings to NHRC
Chairman K G Balakrishnan in early July for the Commission`s
final report. The NHRC then forwarded the findings to the UP
government seeking its reply on the matter within four weeks.
In its report, the National Commission for Women has
recommended a CBI probe into the incident and has said women
were raped. The report was earlier submitted to Women and
Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath.
Sources said seven women had given statements to the
Commission that they were raped, despite being under pressure
not to give such statements.
The seven women had also given similar statements to the
National Commission for Scheduled Castes, they said.
Earlier, National Commission for SC/ST, based on the
affidavits of the seven women, had ordered Senior
Superintendent of Police of Noida to register FIR against the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3