CBI arrests UP Congress leader in PDS scam
Lucknow: The CBI on Monday arrested two persons including a Congress leader here in connection with its probe in the public distribution system scam in which foodgrains meant for poor were allegedly diverted to neighbouring countries and open market.
The agency arrested transport contractor Daljeet Singh, who is also a member of Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee, and godown in-charge Suresh Dhar Dubey in connection with the case, sources said.
Complainant Vishwanath Chaturvedi had last month claimed before the Supreme Court that CBI was not taking action against Singh because of his alleged links with the Congress party and state Congress chief. The allegations were refuted by the CBI.
The CBI alleged that Singh was kingpin of scam and his trucks were allegedly used to divert food grains from FCI and UP Food Corporation godowns during 2004-06, they said.
The CBI, which registered the case in 2010, had carried out searches at 12 location in Lucknow on April 21.
The agency is probing the case in five districts while the rest of the districts are being probed by state police.
The CBI took over the probe after the Allahabad High Court on December 3, 2010, asked it to take over the case in Gonda, Lucknow, Varanasi, Ballia, Lakhimpur and Sitapur districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state