CBI committed errors in case against Mayawati: SP
New Delhi: The Samajwadi Party on Friday accused the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) of committing "technical errors" in the probe against Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati in a graft case, leading to the Supreme Court quashing the investigation against her.
"This is not Mayawati`s victory but CBI`s defeat, as the investigation agency committed technical errors. The CBI was supposed to investigate irregularities in the development of Taj corridor, however, a probe into her assets was initiated," Samajwadi Party leader Shahid Siddiqui said.
"Now, did the CBI commit this error on purpose to save Mayawati or was it a genuine mistake, these questions need to be answered," he added.
The apex court Friday quashed the CBI probe against the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister in a corruption case related to assets disproportionate to her income.
Quashing the first information report (FIR), the apex court bench headed by Justice P. Sathasivam described the filing of another FIR against Mayawati as illegal and without jurisdiction.
Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid termed the apex court judgment "of the highest order", but refused to comment on it, saying he has not read it.
"People may think of court`s decisions as beneficial or harmful, but the fact remains that we have to respect it," union Minister of Tourism Subodh Kant Sahai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray