CBI committed errors in case against Mayawati: SP
New Delhi: The Samajwadi Party on Friday accused the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) of committing "technical errors" in the probe against Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati in a graft case, leading to the Supreme Court quashing the investigation against her.
"This is not Mayawati`s victory but CBI`s defeat, as the investigation agency committed technical errors. The CBI was supposed to investigate irregularities in the development of Taj corridor, however, a probe into her assets was initiated," Samajwadi Party leader Shahid Siddiqui said.
"Now, did the CBI commit this error on purpose to save Mayawati or was it a genuine mistake, these questions need to be answered," he added.
The apex court Friday quashed the CBI probe against the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister in a corruption case related to assets disproportionate to her income.
Quashing the first information report (FIR), the apex court bench headed by Justice P. Sathasivam described the filing of another FIR against Mayawati as illegal and without jurisdiction.
Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid termed the apex court judgment "of the highest order", but refused to comment on it, saying he has not read it.
"People may think of court`s decisions as beneficial or harmful, but the fact remains that we have to respect it," union Minister of Tourism Subodh Kant Sahai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez