CBI not to file chargesheet against five accused in Badaun killings case
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: In the latest development regarding the Badaun killings case, CBI will not to file chargesheet against five accused arrested by UP Police, as per reports.
If the CBI does not file the chargesheet then that essentially means that all the accused in the case will get bail.
According to the law, an accused can get bail if CBI fails to file a chargesheet against them within 90 days that ends on August 28.
In a new twist in the case, on August 20, the Hyderabad-based Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) had ruled out sexual assault on the teenage girls whose bodies were found hanging from a tree in May.
CBI sources has said then that it was a crucial information from one of the most reputed government labs which has cleared a lot of doubts about the theory of the cousins being sexually assaulted before being killed and the needle of suspicion was now on the family members, as per PTI.
The sources said they were not ruling out honour killing angle.
Sources in the CBI had also said that the agency would not exhume the bodies now as the report from CDFD had given them enough forensic evidence which could help them crack the case.
At the same time, the bail pleas of five accused, Pappu, Awadhesh and Urvesh Yadav (all three brothers) and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav, would not be opposed by the agency as there was no clear evidence against them, it was reported.
The two cousin sisters, aged 14 and 15, were found hanging from a tree in Badaun district of Uttar Pradesh in the last week of May, an incident which sparked national outrage with the Samajwadi Party government in the state coming under fire on the issue of law and order situation.
The findings of CBI are in sync with the observations of Uttar Pradesh DGP A L Banerjee who had claimed that the rape of one of the victims was not confirmed and property could be one of the motives behind the crime.
Meanwhile earlier, accusing police of destroying vital evidence, the father of one of the two teenaged cousins threatened that the family members would hang themselves from the same tree if "justice was not done in the case".
The father of one of the victims had said, "Police had already destroyed vital evidence. Even CBI is probing on the lines of investigation done by the Uttar Pradesh police."
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi