CBI registers two more MGNREGA graft cases in Uttar Pradesh
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has registered two fresh cases related to alleged irregularities in implementation of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGA) in Uttar Pradesh.
The CBI has registered the cases under the IPC sections of criminal conspiracy, cheating and forgery and misuse of officials` position under the Prevention of Corruption Act regarding alleged financial irregularities in Sant Kabir Nagar and Mirzapur districts, sources said.
No officials have been named in the FIRs but those directly linked with the implementation of the scheme in these districts during 2007-10 are on the scanner of the agency in the alleged corruption, they said.
The CBI has asked the district administrations and state government to keep a safe custody of records related to MGNREGA in these districts.
The agency has taken over the cases on the order of Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court which directed it to investigate the alleged abuse and misappropriation of funds as well as abuse of power under MNREGA scheme in seven districts of Uttar Pradesh.
The court had directed CBI to investigate the abuse and misappropriation of funds as well as the abuse of power under MNREGA scheme in seven districts--Balrampur, Gonda, Mahoba, Sonbhadra, Sant Kabir Nagar, Mirzapur and Kushinagar--between 2007 and 2010 and come up with appropriate action and prosecution in accordance with law.
A further writ in the nature of mandamus was issued directing CBI to hold a preliminary inquiry with regard to other districts of the state for the three years relating to abuse, misuse or misappropriation of funds provided by the Centre under the scheme with follow-up of regular enquiry, if required.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security Part II
- DNA: Analyzing the possible hands indulged in Scorpene Submarine data leak
- DNA: Analyzing the media coverage on Kashmir violence
- DNA: PM Modi's photos and Indian flag raised during protests in Balochistan
- Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe renew rivalry as Laver Cup captains
- Mamata Banerjee warns Gorkha Janmukti Morcha against violence
- Powerful quake hits Myanmar, damaging famed Bagan temples; tremors felt in India
- FIFA panel opens probes into South Africa match-fixing cases
- At least 120 killed as quake flattens towns in central Italy