CBI takes custody of 3 accused in Bulandshahr rape case

CBI sources refused to disclose the identity of the accused who were taken into custody by it but said they would be produced in the fast-track court-2 of Bulandshahr on August 23.

PTI| Updated: Aug 20, 2016, 21:32 PM IST
CBI takes custody of 3 accused in Bulandshahr rape case

New Delhi: CBI has taken into its custody three accused in the case of rape of a woman and her minor girl in Bulandshahr last month.

CBI sources refused to disclose the identity of the accused who were taken into custody by it but said they would be produced in the fast-track court-2 of Bulandshahr on August 23.

Uttar Pradesh Police had arrested six persons, including the prime suspect, in connection with the rape of the woman and her 13-year-old daughter while they were travelling from Noida to Shahjahanpur on the intervening night of July 29-30.

The case was transferred to CBI on the instructions of the Allahabad High Court. The agency had registered a case yesterday and sent a team of forensic experts and DIG-ranked officer to the crime scene.

UP Police, which received flak from the Allahabad High Court, had claimed to have solved the blind case within nine days of the incident with arrest of Salim Bawariya, the head of a gang from Rajasthan.

On the basis of his interrogation, two other gang members -- Zubair and Sajid -- were arrested by the Special Task Force of UP Police. Later, three more accused -- Naresh (25), Bablu (22) and Rais (28) -- were arrested.