Centre recommends CBI probe into Badaun gang-rape, murder case
Zee Media Bureau/Sushmita Dutta
New Delhi: The Centre has recommended CBI probe into the alleged gang-rape and murder of two teenage cousin Dalit sisters in Badaun, Uttar Pradesh, said state Inspector General (Law and Order) Amrendra Sengar on Tuesday.
“The Badaun gang-rape case has been handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)," Amrendra Sengar (IG UP Law & Order) told reporters.
According to reports, an investigation team of CBI has been set up for this case, who will visit the crime site as soon as possible.
Facing severe criticism from political parties and international bodies as well, the Akhilesh Yadav government had earlier given its nod to a probe by the CBI.
Earlier in the day, the state Home Department had held a high-level talk with the DoPT (Department of Personnel and Training) secretary on the case to being handed over to the CBI.
"In Badaun incident, the family members are demanding a CBI inquiry. Today I talked to secretary DoPT and have got a positive response. We have already written a letter recommending probe," UP Principal Secretary (Home) Deepak Singh Singhal had said, PTI reported.
"Processing of government work takes some time. I suppose that some decision may be taken by today evening," Singhal said on the sidelines of a meeting called by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav today.
Singhal said that by evening several things would come to light which were not visible till now.
"It is possible that several things which are visible till now, will no longer be there in this case", he said, pointing that some new angle might emerge in the Badaun rape probe.
Bodies of two teenage girls aged 14 and 15, who went out of their house on May 27, were found hanging with a tree next morning in Ushait area in Badaun district.
The postmortem report confirmed that the two girls were raped and later hanged.
However, giving a fresh twist to the case Director General of Police AL Banerjee had on Saturday said that property could be a motive behind the murder and that rape of one girl is not yet confirm.
"Of the two victims, one was the lone child of her parents. Her father is one of three brothers with limited resources and if she was not alive, it could benefit others. It could be one of the motive. I am not saying that this is the motive," Banerjee had said in a press conference.
The state DGP also said, "Badaun gang-rape can be a case of horror killing, although it is not confirm yet."
Agitated with Banerjee`s statement the family members of the two victim started a dharna yesterday, which ended late night after the officers showed them the letter relating to recommendation of CBI inquiry by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry