Centre seeks opinion on setting up high court bench in UP
Lucknow: The union government has sought the opinion of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and the Allahabad High Court chief justice on the creation of a high court bench in western Uttar Pradesh, officials said on Saturday.
A letter has been sent in this connection by Union Law Minister Kapil Sibal to the state government.
The letter comes in response to the growing demand for creation of a high court bench in western Uttar Pradesh as the people of the region find it very difficult to travel all the way to Allahabad or Lucknow for their cases.
Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) MP Jayant Chowdhary recently wrote a letter to Sibal, demanding that a bench of the high court be set up in Meerut.
Jayant Chowdhary, along with his father and Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh, also met the law minister some time back, pressing for an early decision on the matter.
Lawyers from 21 districts of western Uttar Pradesh have been staging a stir in favour of a high court bench in the region. This has been a long standing demand and has been debated for several decades now but no decision has been taken yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’