Centre seeks report from UP on suspected dishonour killings
New Delhi: Terming as "unfortunate" the suspected dishonour killing of a youth in Uttar Pradesh`s Bulandshahr district, the Centre on Tuesday sought a report from the state government on the issue.
Minister of State for Home RPN Singh also said that the Government is "very seriously trying" to amend the Constitution to deal with the incidents of dishonour killings in the country.
"We have already asked the state government to send us details of the killing that has taken place. This is something that the Government has taken seriously. What has happened in UP is unfortunate. We are still waiting details from the UP government," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
The wife of 29-year-old Abdul Hakim, who was shot dead on Thursday last, yesterday alleged that her family members were behind the death of her husband.
According to the Hakim`s wife Mahvish, the victim was shot dead by her family members on November 22 after he had just entered the village along with her and their two-year-old daughter.
However, the police have claimed that it was not a case of dishonour killing as none of the accused named in the FIR by the deceased`s brother was from Mahvish`s side.
Mahvish had eloped with Hakim in October 2010 after which the couple got married and were staying in Delhi following opposition from the former`s family, police have said.
The couple was in the village to visit Mahvish`s ailing relatives.
Hakim has also participated in one of the episode of reality show Satyamev Jayate, hosted by actor Aamir Khan, to speak against the menace of dishonour killing.
Singh said the Government is trying to amend the Constitution to deal with the incidents of dishonour killings.
"The matter is already pending with the EGoM," the Minister said, adding the panel headed by the Finance Minister is deliberating on how to bring about the amendments to the 1860 Honour Killings Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune