Centre seeks report on DSP killing, girl thrashing
New Delhi: Terming as a "heinous crime" the killing of a DSP in Pratapgarh district, the Centre Wednesday said it has asked the Uttar Pradesh government to submit a report into the incident and ensure strict action against culprits.
Minister of State for Home Affairs R P N Singh said the Centre has also asked the Punjab government for a report on the incident of assault on a girl by policemen in Tarn Taran district.
"What happened in Pratapgarh is unfortunate. Policing and public order is a state subject. However, in this case, we have written to the UP government for details," Singh told reporters outside Parliament here.
DSP Zia-ul-Haq was killed by a mob in Pratapgarh on Saturday last when he had rushed there after a village head was shot dead over a land dispute. The slain officer`s wife had accused Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias `Raja Bhaiya` for the attack. Singh resigned from the UP cabinet following the incident.
Asked if Raja should be arrested, he said "I do not want to talk about any individual, but as I have told earlier.... the DSP was an efficient officer, he was doing a good job and was an honest officer, and if such a heinous crime is committed against him, whoever is involved should be punished".
He expressed confidence that the CBI will go the root of the case and bring the guilty to book.
Uttar Pradesh government is looking into the matter and it is its responsibility to take strict action against those involved, he added.
The Minister said the Congress party has been raising its voice about law and order in the state and the state PCC has decided to take out a march from Lucknow to Pratapgarh following the incident.
When his attention was drawn to the thrashing of a girl by policemen in Punjab`s Tarn Taran district, he said the Centre has also asked the Punjab government for a report.
On March 4, a woman was thrashed by Punjab police constables when she had approached them along with her father for lodging a complaint against harassment by a truck driver and his accomplices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi