Lucknow: The Centre`s clause of providing no compensation to the kin of Muzaffarnagar riot victims if they accepted the Uttar Pradesh government`s offer of jobs has created confusion among officials, delaying the disbursal of Rs three lakh central assistance.
UP Principal secretary home RM Srivastava on Friday sent a letter to the Union Home Ministry seeking clarification as to why the victims of the riot cannot be sanctioned the central assistance as it would help the needy and poor people.
The guidelines for granting financial assistance to victims of terrorist attacks, naxal and communal violence (like the one in Muzaffarnagar) there was earlier no condition related to employment on compassionate ground, he said in the letter.
The Centre in its communique has stated that financial assistance can be provided in case of death or permanent incapacitation to the affected families only if permanent employment was not provided.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav during his visit to the riot-hit areas earlier this month had announced jobs to the kin of those killed.
"Under the central scheme, in deserving case, financial assistance of Rs three lakh is given for each death or permanent incapacitation case to the affected family subject to the condition that no employment has been provided to any of the family member of the victims," read the Centre`s letter sent to the state government on September 12.
In his letter to the Centre, Srivastava has written, "...Along with the financial assistance under the central scheme, rehabilitation and relief work, the process is on to provide employment to a family member of the victims as announced by the Chief Minister."
Srivastava, however, said a person who has not been provided a permanent job on compassionate ground on the day of sanctioning of the assistance is eligible for it.