Certain people, parties spoiling atmosphere in UP: Akhilesh
Gonda: Facing flak over incidents of communal clashes in Uttar Pradesh, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Friday alleged that certain "people and political parties", frustrated over the achievements of his government, were spoiling atmosphere of the state.
"Some parties which are feeling frustrated because of the achievements of the government are out to spoil the atmosphere of the state ... But we will check communal forces and take stern action against those harming brotherhood," Akhilesh said after inaugurating a national wrestling championship here.
In SP government`s brief tenure, the state has witnessed at least five cases of communal clashes in different parts. Last month clashes erupted in Faizabad city and some areas on its outskirts, leading to a week-long curfew in the area.
Claiming that his government inherited an empty state exchequer, Akhilesh said, despite this, steps have been taken for the welfare of farmers and youths.
The chief minister assured that efforts will be taken to ensure that farmers get a good price for sugarcane.
He said the BSP government`s decision to end sports quota in jobs would be reviewed and revived.
"Sportsmen would be posted on vacant posts and given due respect," Akhilesh said.
Stressing that Samajwadi Party had always honoured sportsmen, Akhilesh promised multipurpose halls in rural areas to give platform to the young sportsmen. He, however, pointed out that it is not easy to promote sports in the villages.
On the occasion, he announced construction, broadening and upgradation of two dozen roads and five bridges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez