Chhattisgarh`s BJP Govt takes credit for Central plans: Congress
Raipur: Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh today accused Chhattisgarh`s BJP government of appropriating welfare schemes funded by the Centre and taking credit for their success in the state.
Schemes and programmes funded by the Centre have been appropriated by the state government, which claims credit that justifiably belongs to the Congress-led UPA alliance, he said.
"(Chief Minister) Raman Singh is taking the credit for the Centre-sponsored schemes in the state and has become `chawal wale baba` (the rice God)," Digvijay said.
The Congress leader was referring to a food scheme under which highly subsidised rice is provided to the BPL families and it is considered one of the main achievements of the Raman Singh Government.
He was talking to reporters on the sidelines of inaugural ceremony of the 30th plenary session of Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC) that began here.
The former MP chief minister blamed the ruling BJP for security lapses that led to the Naxal attack at Darbha in which senior Congressmen were killed in May this year.
"The incident is under probe but what about the lapses on the part of government before the attack. The Chief Minister should have taken moral responsibility for the lapses," the Congress General Secretary said.
Asked about the falling value of rupee and economic slowdown, Digvijay said the Centre should enhance the tax-GDP ratio to reduce current account deficit (CAD) and put Indian economy back on the path of stable growth.
"India`s tax-GDP ratio is quite less as compared to other countries. The Centre should think about reducing CAD and plug tax leakages."
He blamed some BJP leaders for the irregularities at a cooperative bank in the state. He said the court should take cognisance of the statements made during the narco-analysis test of an accused in connection with the scam.
Contracts under Public Works Department were being awarded to BJP workers, Digvijay alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says