Childless couple commits suicide
Lucknow: Depressed over not having a child even after 10 years of marriage, a couple in Barabanki district of Uttar Pradesh immolated themselves, police said on Thursday.
Phool Chandra, 35, and Ram Kali, 32, committed suicide Wednesday night at their home in Dariyabad town of Barabanki, some 35 km from Lucknow.
"Though no suicide note has been recovered, preliminary investigations indicate that the couple was in depression for not having any child, and therefore took the extreme step," police inspector SP Singh told reporters on Thursday in Barabanki.
"Despite trying various kinds of medical treatments, the couple could not conceive and used to tell locals they would soon end their lives," he added.
According to police, by the time locals reached the spot, the couple had died.
- 'Russian Doll' galaxy cluster decodes information about dark energy
- New Facebook, Messenger and Instagram apps launched for Windows 10
- Archery World Cup: Women recurve team shocks top seed Germany to make final
- India asks China to halt construction in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
- Have scientists found the elixir of youth?