Childless couple commits suicide
Lucknow: Depressed over not having a child even after 10 years of marriage, a couple in Barabanki district of Uttar Pradesh immolated themselves, police said on Thursday.
Phool Chandra, 35, and Ram Kali, 32, committed suicide Wednesday night at their home in Dariyabad town of Barabanki, some 35 km from Lucknow.
"Though no suicide note has been recovered, preliminary investigations indicate that the couple was in depression for not having any child, and therefore took the extreme step," police inspector SP Singh told reporters on Thursday in Barabanki.
"Despite trying various kinds of medical treatments, the couple could not conceive and used to tell locals they would soon end their lives," he added.
According to police, by the time locals reached the spot, the couple had died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'