Childless couple commits suicide
Lucknow: Depressed over not having a child even after 10 years of marriage, a couple in Barabanki district of Uttar Pradesh immolated themselves, police said on Thursday.
Phool Chandra, 35, and Ram Kali, 32, committed suicide Wednesday night at their home in Dariyabad town of Barabanki, some 35 km from Lucknow.
"Though no suicide note has been recovered, preliminary investigations indicate that the couple was in depression for not having any child, and therefore took the extreme step," police inspector SP Singh told reporters on Thursday in Barabanki.
"Despite trying various kinds of medical treatments, the couple could not conceive and used to tell locals they would soon end their lives," he added.
According to police, by the time locals reached the spot, the couple had died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections