`CIC still getting RTI applications personal in nature`
Lucknow: The Right to Information Act has not been properly understood by a large number of people even after seven years of its implementation as the Commission is still getting applications personal in nature, Chief Information Commissioner Satyanand Mishra said on Saturday.
"After seven years in existence RTI Act was not properly understood by the people and many applications were personal in natures and this practice should stop and information must be sought in public interest," Mishra said.
The RTI was a law of common men, it has its genesis in peoples` movement and the government has just accepted and translated the spirit of the transparency movements in the form of RTI Act 2005, he said.
He was speaking at the seventh RTI National Seminar organised by Foundation for Peoples` Right to Information here.
The CIC said that this law would take some time to establish itself and there was no need to be pessimistic for its future.
"It was only due to the pressure of the people that the government has to back the proposed amendments in the RTI Act," he said.
He said that effective implementation of RTI Act was linked to the larger reform in administration.
It is a part of administration and it cannot be seen in isolation, he said.
"Today the middle class seems to be disappointed, but I am hopeful regarding the act," Mishra said adding that at the central government level the act was being implemented more effectively.
"During 2011-12, government received 10 lakh applications out of which 25,000 cases came to the commission in the form of appeals of which we have disposed of 75 per cent of the cases," the CIC said.
He said there were some practical difficulties in the implementation of RTI act and there was a need for deeper discussion on this issue by government, civil society and media.
Welcoming the guest chief coordinator of FPRI Afzal
Ansari highlighted the present position regarding the implementation of the Act in states.
He said the conditions of its implementation in Uttar Pradesh was not very good.
There were 32,180 cases pending in the UPSIC and the biggest issue was that of timely disposal of RTI applications, he said.
Presiding over the seminar retired justice Kamleshwar Nath said that Public Information Officers were not fulfilling their legal obligation under the act.
"There should be proper monitoring of the RTI application by the head of the department of the every government department," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt