Clashes erupt again in old Lucknow, former BSP MP booked
Lucknow: Sectarian clashes erupted again in the old city areas Thursday during the funeral procession of a youth killed in Wednesday`s violence, police said. A former BSP MP and others were booked for their role in the violence.
Soon after the body of Shanu was brought out from the morgue and handed over to his family, a mob took over the streets in the old city and pelted stones.
Home-made bombs were thrown at some houses and several rounds of firing reported from Satkhanda area Thakurganj, Hussainabad and in front of the Unity college. Some shops were also vandalized in Hussainabad.
As the funeral procession of the deceased youth wove its way through Jama Masjid, Tehseenganj, Koneshwar crossing, angry crowds raised slogans and indulged in stone-pelting.
Shanu`s body was then put at the Medical College crossing for several hours but the situation was defused when Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad reached the site and pacified the irate mob. The deceased was later buried at Gufran Maab`s Imambara.
Meanwhile police registered five criminal cases in the firing incident Wednesday in which Shanu was killed and a dozen others injured.
Police also booked a former Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MP Dawood, former corporator Nammu, his brother Kaleem, Sajid and others. Heavy police force has been stationed in the violence-hit areas and the situation continues to be tense.
Police apprehend more trouble Friday after congregational prayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why