Clashes erupt again in old Lucknow, former BSP MP booked
Lucknow: Sectarian clashes erupted again in the old city areas Thursday during the funeral procession of a youth killed in Wednesday`s violence, police said. A former BSP MP and others were booked for their role in the violence.
Soon after the body of Shanu was brought out from the morgue and handed over to his family, a mob took over the streets in the old city and pelted stones.
Home-made bombs were thrown at some houses and several rounds of firing reported from Satkhanda area Thakurganj, Hussainabad and in front of the Unity college. Some shops were also vandalized in Hussainabad.
As the funeral procession of the deceased youth wove its way through Jama Masjid, Tehseenganj, Koneshwar crossing, angry crowds raised slogans and indulged in stone-pelting.
Shanu`s body was then put at the Medical College crossing for several hours but the situation was defused when Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad reached the site and pacified the irate mob. The deceased was later buried at Gufran Maab`s Imambara.
Meanwhile police registered five criminal cases in the firing incident Wednesday in which Shanu was killed and a dozen others injured.
Police also booked a former Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MP Dawood, former corporator Nammu, his brother Kaleem, Sajid and others. Heavy police force has been stationed in the violence-hit areas and the situation continues to be tense.
Police apprehend more trouble Friday after congregational prayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!