Clashes erupt again in old Lucknow, former BSP MP booked
Lucknow: Sectarian clashes erupted again in the old city areas Thursday during the funeral procession of a youth killed in Wednesday`s violence, police said. A former BSP MP and others were booked for their role in the violence.
Soon after the body of Shanu was brought out from the morgue and handed over to his family, a mob took over the streets in the old city and pelted stones.
Home-made bombs were thrown at some houses and several rounds of firing reported from Satkhanda area Thakurganj, Hussainabad and in front of the Unity college. Some shops were also vandalized in Hussainabad.
As the funeral procession of the deceased youth wove its way through Jama Masjid, Tehseenganj, Koneshwar crossing, angry crowds raised slogans and indulged in stone-pelting.
Shanu`s body was then put at the Medical College crossing for several hours but the situation was defused when Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad reached the site and pacified the irate mob. The deceased was later buried at Gufran Maab`s Imambara.
Meanwhile police registered five criminal cases in the firing incident Wednesday in which Shanu was killed and a dozen others injured.
Police also booked a former Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MP Dawood, former corporator Nammu, his brother Kaleem, Sajid and others. Heavy police force has been stationed in the violence-hit areas and the situation continues to be tense.
Police apprehend more trouble Friday after congregational prayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof