CM Akhilesh Yadav declares 27 bridges open, promises more
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh today had a host of bridges and roadworks dedicated to the the public at a ceremony where Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav also announced the launch of a number of similar projects with the state government spending Rs 1,131 crore on the works.
"An economist has said that if you double the speed, you triple the economy. Construction of roads will increase growth (in UP)," Akhilesh said during a function at his official residence.
The CM dedicated to the public 27 bridges which were constructed at a cumulative cost of Rs 268 crore and launched 31 bridge and four road projects which will require an expenditure of an estimated Rs 863 crore.
"Construction of roads on such a large scale and connecting district headquarters via four-lane roads were (aims) mentioned in the SP manifesto," Akhilesh said.
Equating the status of roads and bridges to the level of development, Akhilesh alleged that not only did the previous BSP government fail to undertake any such projects, it also ensured that "construction of bridges started by the SP government before it was either slowed down or stopped".
"The previous government did no construction work in five years," Akhilesh said, citing the example of a bridge in Pratapgarh district which is yet to be completed although the work on it had started in 2006.
The CM said that although the bridge was to have been ready in one-and-a-half years, delays had seen the cost for the project double to Rs 45 crore where the initial outlay had been Rs 22 crore.
Congratulating PWD minister Shivpal Singh Yadav, Akhilesh said that the present SP government had taken up road projects immediately after being voted to power in the state.
As regards a proposed flyover near the BSP office on Mall Avenue - a plan being hotly opposed by the members of the Opposition - Akhilesh said that "the flyover is for the convenience of the people and it will be constructed".
Speaking on the occasion, the PWD minister said that efforts were being made to widen state highways by up to seven metres.
Shivpal said that the department would construct a 640 KM road on the Indo-Nepal border to connect Lakhimpur to Maharajganj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender