CM Akhilesh Yadav declares 27 bridges open, promises more
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh today had a host of bridges and roadworks dedicated to the the public at a ceremony where Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav also announced the launch of a number of similar projects with the state government spending Rs 1,131 crore on the works.
"An economist has said that if you double the speed, you triple the economy. Construction of roads will increase growth (in UP)," Akhilesh said during a function at his official residence.
The CM dedicated to the public 27 bridges which were constructed at a cumulative cost of Rs 268 crore and launched 31 bridge and four road projects which will require an expenditure of an estimated Rs 863 crore.
"Construction of roads on such a large scale and connecting district headquarters via four-lane roads were (aims) mentioned in the SP manifesto," Akhilesh said.
Equating the status of roads and bridges to the level of development, Akhilesh alleged that not only did the previous BSP government fail to undertake any such projects, it also ensured that "construction of bridges started by the SP government before it was either slowed down or stopped".
"The previous government did no construction work in five years," Akhilesh said, citing the example of a bridge in Pratapgarh district which is yet to be completed although the work on it had started in 2006.
The CM said that although the bridge was to have been ready in one-and-a-half years, delays had seen the cost for the project double to Rs 45 crore where the initial outlay had been Rs 22 crore.
Congratulating PWD minister Shivpal Singh Yadav, Akhilesh said that the present SP government had taken up road projects immediately after being voted to power in the state.
As regards a proposed flyover near the BSP office on Mall Avenue - a plan being hotly opposed by the members of the Opposition - Akhilesh said that "the flyover is for the convenience of the people and it will be constructed".
Speaking on the occasion, the PWD minister said that efforts were being made to widen state highways by up to seven metres.
Shivpal said that the department would construct a 640 KM road on the Indo-Nepal border to connect Lakhimpur to Maharajganj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?