Coal scam a major issue in Sriprakash Jaiswal`s constituency
Kanpur: The coal block scam has become a major issue in the Kanpur Lok Sabha constituency of Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal, with his BJP rival Murli Manohar Joshi and Mahmood Rehmani of AAP attacking him over the controversial allocation.
Joshi, who was shifted to Kanpur from Varanasi to make way for Narendra Modi, came here on March 21, his first after the announcement of his candidature.
During the visit, the BJP candidate had made a veiled attack on Jaiswal, saying, "While investigating the coal block allocation scam as a member of the Parliament`s Public Accounts Committee, I never imagined that one day I will have to fight elections from the constituency of a person whose name cropped up in the scam."
Also, during a rally here in October, BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi had directly attacked Jaiswal, saying the people of the country would seek answers from Congress on the scam.
AAP candidate Rehmani has also been attacking Jaiswal over the issue.
"The people of Kanpur have elected Jaiswal three times, but what has he given to them...Scams involving crores of rupees," he said.
"The Congress-led government has committed two dozen scams like the coal scam with the people`s money. Not alone Jaiswal, but all Congress candidates will have to give an answer to the country for this," he said.
Meanwhile, talking to reporters two days ago, Jaiswal had denied all allegations regarding the scam.
He had said he would quit politics if the charges were proven correct and dared his opponents to do the same if they were proven wrong.
He had said he had worked for the development of Kanpur and people of the city knew this very well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'