Coal scam a major issue in Sriprakash Jaiswal`s constituency
Kanpur: The coal block scam has become a major issue in the Kanpur Lok Sabha constituency of Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal, with his BJP rival Murli Manohar Joshi and Mahmood Rehmani of AAP attacking him over the controversial allocation.
Joshi, who was shifted to Kanpur from Varanasi to make way for Narendra Modi, came here on March 21, his first after the announcement of his candidature.
During the visit, the BJP candidate had made a veiled attack on Jaiswal, saying, "While investigating the coal block allocation scam as a member of the Parliament`s Public Accounts Committee, I never imagined that one day I will have to fight elections from the constituency of a person whose name cropped up in the scam."
Also, during a rally here in October, BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi had directly attacked Jaiswal, saying the people of the country would seek answers from Congress on the scam.
AAP candidate Rehmani has also been attacking Jaiswal over the issue.
"The people of Kanpur have elected Jaiswal three times, but what has he given to them...Scams involving crores of rupees," he said.
"The Congress-led government has committed two dozen scams like the coal scam with the people`s money. Not alone Jaiswal, but all Congress candidates will have to give an answer to the country for this," he said.
Meanwhile, talking to reporters two days ago, Jaiswal had denied all allegations regarding the scam.
He had said he would quit politics if the charges were proven correct and dared his opponents to do the same if they were proven wrong.
He had said he had worked for the development of Kanpur and people of the city knew this very well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional