Cold claims five more lives in UP
Lucknow: Five people lost their lives due to the continuing cold wave in Uttar Pradesh in the past 24 hours, taking the toll this winter to 254.
Three people were reported dead in Barabanki district and two in Jaunpur.
Met office sources said the maximum temperatures were below normal by 5 to 10 degrees Celsius at "one or two" places in the state.
Cold wave conditions prevailed over some parts of UP.
Night temperatures were recorded below normal in Kanpur, Gorakhpur, Varanasi, Allahabad, Faizabad, Moradabad, Lucknow, Bareilly and Meerut divisions, while normal temperatures were recorded in the remaining divisions.
The lowest minimum temperature in the state was -0.5 degrees Celsius, recorded at Najibabad (Bijnore).
Weather would be mainly dry and shallow fog would prevail over a few places in the state, the sources said.
Ground frost would occur at isolated places during the next two nights, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur