Cold claims five more lives in UP
Lucknow: Five people lost their lives due to the continuing cold wave in Uttar Pradesh in the past 24 hours, taking the toll this winter to 254.
Three people were reported dead in Barabanki district and two in Jaunpur.
Met office sources said the maximum temperatures were below normal by 5 to 10 degrees Celsius at "one or two" places in the state.
Cold wave conditions prevailed over some parts of UP.
Night temperatures were recorded below normal in Kanpur, Gorakhpur, Varanasi, Allahabad, Faizabad, Moradabad, Lucknow, Bareilly and Meerut divisions, while normal temperatures were recorded in the remaining divisions.
The lowest minimum temperature in the state was -0.5 degrees Celsius, recorded at Najibabad (Bijnore).
Weather would be mainly dry and shallow fog would prevail over a few places in the state, the sources said.
Ground frost would occur at isolated places during the next two nights, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Turkish PM says first signs in Istanbul attack point to IS
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates