Commerce Ministry to distribute blankets in relief camps of Muzaffarnagar
New Delhi: The Commerce and Industry Ministry has directed its public sector units to distribute blankets in the northern region of the country, including in the riot relief camps of Muzaffarnagar, which are reeling under severe cold.
"5,000 blankets are being sent to the riot relief camps of Muzaffarnagar," Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said in a statement.
He has given directions to the ministry`s Public Sector Undertakings for distribution of blankets for the poor and old people in the northern region due to severe winter spell in this part of the country.
Snowfall in the hilly areas of northern India has kept the region in the grip of the winter chill.
On December 30, Delhi recorded the lowest minimum temperature in a decade for the month of December as mercury dipped to a chilling 2.4 degrees.
A high-level official panel had stated that 4,783 displaced people were still living in relief camps for riot-hit victims in Muzaffarnagar where at least 34 children below 12 years had died allegedly due to cold waves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened