Communal clash breaks out in Meerut, 4 injured
Meerut/Lucknow: Members of two communities clashed today over construction of a water kiosk near a mosque in Teergaran area here leaving four persons injured and sparking tension.
The incident took place at about 1:30 pm when committee members of the mosque were installing a water kiosk beside it, which was opposed by members of another community, leading to a clash between the two sides, District Magistrate Navdeep Rinwa said.
The argument over the kiosk led to pelting of stones from both sides. Two motorcycles were also torched, police said.
Two persons identified as Aamir and Saurabh have been injured in the violence and admitted to a hospital, Rinwa said.
However, a police spokesman in Lucknow said four persons were wounded in the clashes.
Tension later spread to other areas from where stone-pelting incidents were reported, the District Magistrate said, adding the situation is tense but under control.
About 800 Rapid Action Force personnel have been deployed along with police forces in the city`s sensitive areas, he said.
Rinwas said he, along with SSP Onkar Singh, was patrolling the city in a bid to normalise the situation and a meeting between the two groups will be called to find an amicable solution to the issue.
City SP Om Prakash said people involved in the incident would be identified and arrested once the situation normalises.
The clash came two days before 18 constituencies go to poll on May 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Subramanian Swamy at it again! Attacks Economic Affairs Secy Shaktikanta Das; Arun Jaitley calls it unfair
- Pakistan-North Korea nuclear trade being tracked by Indian intelligence agencies: Report
- Rousseff ex-minister arrested in Brazil graft probe
- 4,500 people rescued in Mediterranean: Italy coastguard
- Vijender Singh out of Olympic contention, wishes best for Vikas Krishan