Communal clash in UP`s Faizabad, paramilitary deployed
Lucknow: Two Uttar Pradesh State Roadways buses were damaged as members of two communities clashed over a religious site in Uttar Pradesh`s Faizabad town Tuesday, police said. A contingent of paramilitary Rapid Action Force (RAF) has been deployed in the town.
The clash follows similar communal tension in the state`s Bareilly city Sunday.
Police said violence broke out in the Mirzapur area of Faizabad, 120 km from Lucknow, after a brief altercation between members of two communities. They then indulged in heavy stone pelting and went on rampage, damaging two buses of the Uttar Pradesh State Roadways.
They also raised slogans against the district administration and the state government.
District officials admitted that for the last one week discontent had been simmering following a dispute over the religious place and its use but the officials had failed to thrash out a solution.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Ramit Sharma said the situation was under control and a platoon of the RAF has been deployed as a precautionary measure.
No arrests have been made but police are keeping a close watch on the situation, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown