Communal clash in UP`s Faizabad, paramilitary deployed
Lucknow: Two Uttar Pradesh State Roadways buses were damaged as members of two communities clashed over a religious site in Uttar Pradesh`s Faizabad town Tuesday, police said. A contingent of paramilitary Rapid Action Force (RAF) has been deployed in the town.
The clash follows similar communal tension in the state`s Bareilly city Sunday.
Police said violence broke out in the Mirzapur area of Faizabad, 120 km from Lucknow, after a brief altercation between members of two communities. They then indulged in heavy stone pelting and went on rampage, damaging two buses of the Uttar Pradesh State Roadways.
They also raised slogans against the district administration and the state government.
District officials admitted that for the last one week discontent had been simmering following a dispute over the religious place and its use but the officials had failed to thrash out a solution.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Ramit Sharma said the situation was under control and a platoon of the RAF has been deployed as a precautionary measure.
No arrests have been made but police are keeping a close watch on the situation, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter