Communal clash in UP`s Faizabad, paramilitary deployed
Lucknow: Two Uttar Pradesh State Roadways buses were damaged as members of two communities clashed over a religious site in Uttar Pradesh`s Faizabad town Tuesday, police said. A contingent of paramilitary Rapid Action Force (RAF) has been deployed in the town.
The clash follows similar communal tension in the state`s Bareilly city Sunday.
Police said violence broke out in the Mirzapur area of Faizabad, 120 km from Lucknow, after a brief altercation between members of two communities. They then indulged in heavy stone pelting and went on rampage, damaging two buses of the Uttar Pradesh State Roadways.
They also raised slogans against the district administration and the state government.
District officials admitted that for the last one week discontent had been simmering following a dispute over the religious place and its use but the officials had failed to thrash out a solution.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Ramit Sharma said the situation was under control and a platoon of the RAF has been deployed as a precautionary measure.
No arrests have been made but police are keeping a close watch on the situation, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days