Community panchayat in UP bans jeans, mobile phones for girls
Muzaffarnagar: A community panchayat has banned girls from wearing jeans and keeping mobile phones claiming that they were having a "bad" effect on them and were responsible for eve-teasing incidents.
The panchayat of Gujjar community was held at Jadwad village yesterday.
It passed the diktat banning wearing of jeans and use of mobile phones by unmarried girl. The panchayat also claimed that eve-teasing?incidents had increased due to "objectionable" clothes worn by girls.
It also asked the community people not to have disc jockey during wedding functions.
Village head Ashok Kumar was among those present at the meeting.
Such diktats have been issued in the past by Khap panchayats or caste councils in UP and Harayana, drawing flak from several quarters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India