Community panchayat in UP bans jeans, mobile phones for girls
Muzaffarnagar: A community panchayat has banned girls from wearing jeans and keeping mobile phones claiming that they were having a "bad" effect on them and were responsible for eve-teasing incidents.
The panchayat of Gujjar community was held at Jadwad village yesterday.
It passed the diktat banning wearing of jeans and use of mobile phones by unmarried girl. The panchayat also claimed that eve-teasing?incidents had increased due to "objectionable" clothes worn by girls.
It also asked the community people not to have disc jockey during wedding functions.
Village head Ashok Kumar was among those present at the meeting.
Such diktats have been issued in the past by Khap panchayats or caste councils in UP and Harayana, drawing flak from several quarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad