Community panchayat in UP bans jeans, mobile phones for girls
Muzaffarnagar: A community panchayat has banned girls from wearing jeans and keeping mobile phones claiming that they were having a "bad" effect on them and were responsible for eve-teasing incidents.
The panchayat of Gujjar community was held at Jadwad village yesterday.
It passed the diktat banning wearing of jeans and use of mobile phones by unmarried girl. The panchayat also claimed that eve-teasing?incidents had increased due to "objectionable" clothes worn by girls.
It also asked the community people not to have disc jockey during wedding functions.
Village head Ashok Kumar was among those present at the meeting.
Such diktats have been issued in the past by Khap panchayats or caste councils in UP and Harayana, drawing flak from several quarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda