Community panchayat members torch house of a youth for eloping
Bijnore: Members of a community panchayat allegedly torched the house of a youth who had eloped with a girl from a different community and clashed with police, leaving 10 persons injured in Mahawatpur village here.
Parul Chohan, a student of BSc, had eloped with Mohd. Arif on April 27. Their relationship was disapproved of by their parents and the incident triggered tension in the
village, police said.
A community panchayat was called yesterday on the issue and the members attacked Arif`s house. While the family members fled, the irate crowd torched the house, they said.
The mob also attacked police personnel when they tried to control the situation and damaged several police vehicles, Superintendent of Police Rajkumar said, adding 10 persons, including four policemen, were injured in the violence.
Police have registered cases in various sections against 287 people including the panchayat head Chandrapal Singh for rioting and damaging property . Security has been tightened in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP