Community panchayat members torch house of a youth for eloping
Bijnore: Members of a community panchayat allegedly torched the house of a youth who had eloped with a girl from a different community and clashed with police, leaving 10 persons injured in Mahawatpur village here.
Parul Chohan, a student of BSc, had eloped with Mohd. Arif on April 27. Their relationship was disapproved of by their parents and the incident triggered tension in the
village, police said.
A community panchayat was called yesterday on the issue and the members attacked Arif`s house. While the family members fled, the irate crowd torched the house, they said.
The mob also attacked police personnel when they tried to control the situation and damaged several police vehicles, Superintendent of Police Rajkumar said, adding 10 persons, including four policemen, were injured in the violence.
Police have registered cases in various sections against 287 people including the panchayat head Chandrapal Singh for rioting and damaging property . Security has been tightened in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof